ADF Timeout

Discussions about TWAIN & WIA scanning in GdPicture.NET using GdPictureImaging.
Steve007

ADF Timeout

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Just wondering if there is a way to set the timeout on the ADF.

For example when I aquire my final page, my application due to the scanner ADF timeout, has to wait for around 8 seconds.

The scanner a Kodak i1220, does have a twain based app that allows you to change this timeout, which works.

I'am assuming the timeout is the amount of time the feeder waits for a page, be it the first or after the last feed.

Is there a way to change the ADF wait timeout?

Cheers
Steve

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: ADF Timeout

Post by Loïc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Steve,

unfortunately this is a specific behavior of your device.
And there is nothing in TWAIN reference which allow to control this kind of timeout.

Nothing can be done :cry:

Cheers,

Loïc

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks Loic, sadly, I thought that may have the case.

Steve007

Re: ADF Timeout - RESOLVED

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Loic,

I thought I'd check this issue a little closer... turns out it's the twain driver UI, it's slow to unload (6-8 secs), go figure.

So, I found... TwainSetAutoSourceClose(false), this fixed my problem. No more waits.

If you happen to see this Loic, I would appreciate your input based on your experience, with the following...

Currently I acquire to a gdpicture image, I then get a bitmap pass this to a third party barcode reader component.

Is it more efficient to acquire directly to a BITMAP/DIB/GDPICTURE(need to have a DIB or BITMAP for the barcode reader) and I do use the gdViewer if necessary.
I have no real need to do anything to the image, just trying to do things the most efficient way.

So any advantages/disadvantages to using BITMAP/DIB, with GDPICTURE I need to get one of these anyway for my barcodes processing.

GdPicture is extremely well done :)

Cheers
Steve

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Steve,

Your timeout is not due to your feeder but to your device closing/opening. I have the same issue with a Canon DR9080.

If you don't need to apply any processing to the acquired image you can just acquire to a dib. It will be a bit faster to wrap the acquired DIB within a GdPicture image.

Kind regards,

Loïc

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Thanks again :)